Monday, January 24, 2011

"What's the Sense in Being Young if You Can't Be Impulsive?"

Late Summer Honors is over, and now "the real work begins."  People have moved into my building and guys (many of them quite good looking) have moved into the buildings across the way.  My meal plan has taken affect, I am completely moved in, and I am counting the seconds until Sunday (you figure out why).

This whole week has been a lesson in time management.  They had booked us down to the minute and I felt like I had no time that was truly my own.  So, now that I am free to do as I please...I will develop my own schedule.  Why is it that I hate structure when it is thrust upon me, but I create my own structure when left to my own devices?  Similarly, I will ensure that I have many social activities, designated times to eat, and a good amount of study time--just as they forced me to have previously.  In case you can't tell, there is some bitterness.  After all, we came early--clearly showing an interest in education--we want to be honors students, we have exemplary grades.  We can handle ourselves.

It is interesting that I should talk about myself as if I am a completely mature college student.  Ha!  As a matter of fact, I have noticed that at times I am more of a teenager than I ever was in high school.  Since arriving in Utah I have been impulsive and childish.  I have unabashedly run through sprinklers while screaming at the top of my lungs, awoken my friends' neighbors, lain down in the middle of the street (yes a real street--very The Notebook), giggled uncontrollably on numerous occasions, shamelessly flirted, boy watched from my apartment window, and--yes--even sit next to cute boys at lunch just so I can talk to them.

In one episode of 21 Jump Street Johnny Depp's character, who is usually very mature and responsible, becomes just as crazy and impulsive as the teenagers that he associates with.  I seem to be channeling this same inner crazy person.  I am not like this.  Wasn't I supposed to get this out of my system before starting college and being a responsible adult?

Well, whatever the circumstances, my cousin and I have pledged that we will embrace our inner teenager and be the wild teenagers now that we never were in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment