Monday, January 24, 2011

Maybe Trace Adkins Has It Right?

College is expensive.  This is a well-known and undisputed fact.  However, that knowledge does not make the spending of my hard earned money any easier.  Today I bought some supplies for the kitchen in my apartment.  Over $170!  I didn't buy that many things I thought, and two thirds of them are under $10.  I know that what I bought today are items that I will use for the rest of my life, like a salad spinner... but still!

Side note, when I was checking out at Bed, Bath, and Beyond the cashier asked if I had registered with them.  I almost died.  Was she implying that I was buying stuff for my first apartment after my marriage?!?  I thought I was 18, not 28!

Every purchase I make now involves serious deliberation and thought.  Even a gum purchase must be carefully mulled over: "Will I chew this flavor?  How long will this pack last?  Why do I even chew gum? Two bucks, what am I, made of money?"  Clearly, I am well trained in how to make an educated purchase from a store.  Further demonstrating my stinginess, I was genuinely excited to see that I received an income tax refund of two dollars!  Yes!  Score!  This is sad.  However, perhaps this severe frugality will eventually mellow and ensure that I live within my means.

To complicate matters, my entire income right now comes from 4.5 hours of work a week.  Yeah, a week.  Not a day.  If there is a positive side to this fact, it has convinced me that whatever the sacrifice involved, college is worth it.  I am not cut out for blue-collar work making minimum wage.

You know, when it comes to money issues I do have a back-up plan.  "I'm gonna marry for money!"  I have already been told where to hang out on campus if I want to get a date with a future lawyer, doctor, or business executive.  I guess Trace Adkins did know what he was talking about when he wrote that song.

No comments:

Post a Comment